No this is not fried placenta. Plăcintă (singular) or plăcinte (plural) is a generic term covering pastry and pies. This one is a fried yeasted dough stuffed with sour cherries. It’s a very sticky dough to work with, so be sure you have a well-oiled surface when you bring out your rolling pin.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp dried yeast
- ¼ tbsp salt
- Extra flour to work with
- Oil to fry and to work with
- 3 cups stoned sour cherries
- 2 tbsp sugar
NUTRITIONAL CONTENT PER PORTION
- Calories | 648
- Fat | 7.6g
Serves | 6 portions
Prep Time | 1 hour 45 minutes (includes resting time)
Cooking Time | 25 minutes
- To make the dough, stir the sugar and yeast into the warm water until dissolved. Cover and leave to activate in a warm draft-free place for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl stir together the flour and salt, make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast mix, whisking with a fork from the inside out gradually incorporating the liquid into the flour mixture until you have a dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for approximately ten minutes until smooth.
- Transfer to a clean bowl, cover and leave to rise in a warm draft-free place for approximately one hour until doubled in size.
- To prepare the filling, sprinkle the sugar onto the sour cherries and stir.
- Divide the dough into six, and on an oiled surface roll into balls and then into disks as thin as you can. Put a sixth of the filling in the centre of each
- Cut the disks with a knife to create eight equal segments about one cm from the edge of the filling.
- Fold each segment into the centre.
- Heat oil in a frying pan until sizzling, reduce the heat and cook each placinta in turn until golden brown, flipping to cook both sides. Make sure that the heat is low otherwise the dough will be raw in the centre