What is it with Finns and private parts? After serving Cosmin lady garden pastries for mains (karjalanpiirakka), I whipped out these beauties for afters which he swiftly renamed mystical willies. Trust me to a Romanian this is funny.
- 500g fresh blueberries (17.5 oz/5 cups)
- 2 tbsp cornflour (US cornstarch)
- 350ml milk (0.6 pints/1.5 cups)
- 25g dried yeast (0.8 oz/2.5 tbsp)
- 100g caster sugar (3.5 oz /0.8 cups) (US= superfine sugar, can be substituted with granulated)
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 5 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 100g butter cubed and at room temperature (3.5 oz/0.4 cups/1 stick)
- 650g strong bread flour (23 oz/5 cups+1tbsp)
To Glaze and Finish
- 3 tbsp icing sugar (confectioners/powdered sugar)
NUTRITIONAL CONTENT PER PORTION
- Calories | 202
- Fat | 5.3g
Serves | 20 portions
Prep Time | 2 hours 50 minutes (includes 2 hours 10 minutes proving time)
Cooking Time | 12 minutes
- Heat the milk until it is lukewarm, be very careful not to overheat as it will kill the yeast. Transfer to a clean bowl and stir in the yeast and one tablespoon of the sugar until dissolved. Cover and leave in a warm draft-free place for 10 minutes until the yeast has activated.
- Place the flour, remaining sugar, cardamom and salt in a large bowl and stir until fully incorporated. Add the butter and mix with your hands until you have a texture resembling bread crumbs.
- Make a well in the centre and add the yeast mixture and egg, whisking with a fork from the inside out gradually incorporating the liquid into the flour mixture until you have a dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for approximately ten minutes until smooth.
- Transfer the dough to a clean bowl, cover and leave in a warm draft-free place for approximately one hour until doubled in size.
- Roll the dough into a long sausage and divide into 20 pieces rolling each into a ball. Cover and leave to rise for a further hour until doubled in size.
- Place the blueberries in a bowl, sprinkle on the cornflour and stir until all the blueberries are coated.
- Indent each bun with a floured glass, glaze with whisked egg and spoon a heaped tablespoon of blueberries in each.
- Preheat the oven to 225°c/437°f adding a deep tray of water on the bottom shelf (be very careful when removing).
- Bake the buns for 10-12 minutes until golden. Cool on a wire rack then sprinkle over icing sugar to serve
Based on a recipe found at www.yhteishyva.fi