Oh this tasted so good. Your typical egg based pastry filling is yummy but a tad stodgy, whereas the yoghurt and orange in this pie makes it as light as it gets. Yeah yeah, so it is heavy on the calories and a touch on the high side with the fat content, just don’t eat it every day.
Do make sure you keep the pastry covered when not in use as it dries out very quickly. To get the thick orange peel I used a wide potato peeler very lightly so as not to get the bitter white pith, then cut it into strips with a sharp knife.
- 20 sheets filo pastry (circa 1.5 packets)
- 50g melted butter
- 4 eggs
- 250g greek yoghurt
- 120g caster sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 200ml vegetable oil
- Juice of 1 orange
- Rind from 8 oranges
- 400g caster sugar
- 850ml water
NUTRITIONAL CONTENT PER PORTION
- Calories | 400
- Fat | 16.7g
Serves | 16 portions
Prep Time | 15 minutes
Cooking Time | 55 minutes
- To make the filling whisk together the eggs and sugar, add the yoghurt and salt and continue whisking whilst gradually tippling in the oil. Finally stir in the orange juice.
- Take five sheets of pastry and cut them to the dimensions of the base of your baking tin (I used a square 20x20 spring form tin.
- Using a pastry brush lightly coat the bottom and sides of the tin in butter. Add a pastry sheet and paint with butter, continue in this fashion until all five sheets are used.
- Using the offcuts coat the sides of the tin in a similar fashion, with layers of butter in between.
- Pour half of the filling inside.
- Cut ten pieces of pastry to the width of your tin, but leave the length as it is.
- On a piece of cling film place the first piece of filo, paint with butter and then layer on another sheet, continue until you have five layers of pastry.
- Gently remove from the cling film and fold into a fan of about 2cm depth, place on top of the filling gently pulling apart the folds until half the width of the base is covered. Repeat with the other five sheets to fill the second half of the tin.
- Pour in the remaining filling.
- Fold the pastry around the sides of the tin inwards
- Cut five sheets to the dimension of the base of your team. On a piece of cling film layer them between butter as before then place on top of the pie.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 180˚c for 35-40 minutes until the pastry is crispy and the filling set.
- To make the syrup, place the orange rind, sugar and water in a saucepan and heat stirring continuously until it forms a syrup, about 15 minutes.
- Pour over the pie and cut into squares.
Based on a recipe found at www.zajenata.bg